Sunday, March 16, 2014

when I cook just for myself...

I like to cook varied and nutritious meals, and don't like to be in a rut. I feel fortunate that my family eats all kinds of food. There are a few exceptions to this rule of course - foods that I love, but nobody else will eat.

Eggplant and tofu are on the list of "exceptions." I think both of these foods are delicious, and get a bad rap from people who may not even have tasted them before pronouncing them inedible. Luckily, one of my favourite dishes makes use of both tofu and eggplant, and it's super easy to fix. So while my husband and son were both out on Saturday night, I prepared this delicious meal:


Sauteed Eggplant and Tofu with Sweet Chili Sauce

1 pound medium firm tofu - cut into small cubes
1 Japanese eggplant - cut into 1/4 inch slices, then halve the slices to make half-moons
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
2 cloves fresh garlic, also minced
vegetable oil
soy sauce
sweet chili sauce

In a non-stick frying pan, saute the tofu with a bit of oil, until it is golden brown and crisp on the outside. Set it aside. Saute the garlic and ginger briefly, in the pan that you used for the tofu, then add the eggplant slices. Cook until the eggplant softens. You may add a few sprinkles of water to make a bit of steam to help the cooking. When the eggplant is cooked (about 5 minutes), add the tofu. Season with a couple of splashes of soy sauce and enough sweet chili sauce to coat everything lightly.

Serve with brown rice, because not everybody prefers brown rice, but maybe you do!

You know the nice thing about cooking something that nobody else wants to eat? You get the leftovers all to yourself!

Remember to cook the things that you enjoy. Cooking for yourself is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. You can feed your dad Sauteed Eggplant and Tofu with Sweet Chili Sauce anytime you want. He loves eggplant and tofu too. Must be McIntyre genes keeping your husband and son from liking this!

    ReplyDelete