Saturday, January 11, 2014

an amazing pumpkin muffin


I was poking through the sometimes surprising space that is our refrigerator, and remembered that we had leftover canned pumpkin from Christmas supper. Fiona made an absolutely delectable pumpkin pie for that meal. Every time I buy a can of pumpkin, I forget how little you need to produce one pie. That filling has a lot of egg, sugar and milk included with the pumpkin. The trick is to remember to use the leftover pumpkin!

The leftover pumpkin looked and smelled still good, so I used the Whitewater Cooks with Friends book to make a dozen super gorgeous muffins. They are called Gail's Pumpkin Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins, and they are very very good. I added some dried cranberries to make them even yummier. I was out of toasted pumpkin seeds, so I missed using these. Usually I press a handful into the top of each muffin before I bake them.

I won't copy published recipes into this blog. There are 3 Whitewater Cookbooks. All are very good, and easy to find.

The recipe is so easy and good that I have made it several times, so making it again was nothing new. I guess I could say that the new thing this time was incorporating the cranberries. That was a good choice. In fact, you might leave out the chocolate chips and use only cranberries, if you have someone at home who does not like chocolate.

I guess the only question is, "Who would eat a muffin out of a bowl?" But look at how the colour of the muffin coordinates with the colour of the polka-dots that Fiona painted. This is the perfect serving vessel for one very good muffin. These muffins are moist, and keep well. I just heated a day-old muffin for breakfast. It was good.

Have a happy, hearty, nutritious home-baked breakfast soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment